Re: [hatari-devel] hatari release tester

On maanantai 30 tammikuu 2012, David Savinkoff wrote:
> I would suggest that the screen pictures be a hash of the
> emulated screen memory. Or maybe a hash can be stored
> in a .png (where the picture is Not used for comparing,
> but simply to look at).
>
> Otherwise different libraries and code changes will make
> for more maintenance, break tests, ...

As I mailed yesterday, the TOS checks are done now based
on test program run and its output.

Screenshots are there  ust in case one wants to check what
the screen looked like.  For example EmuTOS outputs panic
messages on screen, but it's not done in a way which could be
caught with --bios-intercept, so you need an actual screenshot.

The screenshot-report.sh script is mainly intended just to
check whether e.g. some bugfix changed something so comparing
just the produced files is fine. Libraries don't usually
change between compilation rounds. :-)

As to possible demo tester, that would need images so that
one can after test see visually what was wrong.  The screenshots
would of course be compared based on the contents, but nobody's
implemented that yet.

I though ImageMagick could be used for that, but after some testing
it didn't seem ideal for that.  I guess somebody needs to write
a small SDL[1] program for it, which would:
- complain if image sizes differ (e.g. Hatari options changed)
- check whether images match and give suitable return code
- produce an image highlighting the differences.

This should be fairly trivial.

	- Eero

[1] http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/