Re: [hatari-devel] rev 3689 : splitting cpu cycles above 20

On 07/01/2012 19:59, Laurent Sallafranque wrote:
 > [...] to have the "micro code" of the 68030 to split each instruction
in very small chunks (of 2 or 4 cycles) and call DSP_run every 4 cycles
[...]

Yes, that would be the best, but I'm not that sure we need to go that
small (I think 20 should be a good approximation, as DSP needs enought
time to generate 1 sample for the crossbar (60 cycles). A split in 60
cycles may probably be enough.

The "problem" is that we don't get the choice :
- either you see as a whole but you can't run dsp and cpu in "real" parallel mode

- or you consider the micro code of each 68030 instruction. In that case, you can't choose an approximation, you must call dsp_run every time the number of cycles is enough to run the dsp. Running it every 20 might work on the average, but there will always be some case where it's not enough.

So, it's either no split of the cpu instruction or full correct split of each instruction, there's no in-between solution, it would only have the drawbacks of the 2 others solution (slow and not neccessarily precise enough)