Re: [gluon] Qt 4.6

On Wednesday 02 December 2009 02:39:33 idk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today Qt 4.6 was released! So, That what I waiting to improve KGL.
> So, Now I will refresh it by using some new feature from Qt 4.6.
>
> - Use QGLShader instead KGLShaders!
> - Use QGLPainter instead KGLPainter... Damnit They stole all my class name
>  !
>
> :)

  And make more use of QQuaternion for rotations (they are FAST and much safer
than matrix operations (no problems with gimbal lock)

> -Remove Eigen and  Replace Eigen::Vector By QVector , Eigen::Transform by
> QMatrix4x4

  i guess it might make sense to do this - i do not know how fast QVariant's
marshalling is, we should probably ask someone in the know about this, as we
use it a lot around the place.

> So, we need to improve KGL structure. What do you suggest ?
>
> Leinhr suggest me to separate the physicsEngine? I don't understand ? How ?
>
> Currently KGL work like this :
>
> KGLView  is the openGL render
> KGLEngine is a container of item.
> KGLItem & subclass
>
> KGLPhysicsEngine inherits from KGLEngine and provide a Box2d physics
>  engine.

  We talked about it quickly yesterday, and if you are able, ahiemstra, sandro
and i would like to have a little IRC meeting about it Saturday night (CET),
so if you are up for that let's find a time :)

> So, now I was thinking How to be helpfull to create anythink of games :
> For example we can imagine 2 view : "static view" for games without camera
> motion, and "motion view".
>
> So, I think Unity user guy will be able to answer better than me.

  i can see even more viewport options - last night at the machine
intelligence christmas luncheon i talked about it with someone, and we got
into talking about how you could really use the engine to create any type of
game. Including text-based ones :)
  So, a per-gameproject viewport setting, indicating whether you wish a KGL
viewport, a QGV viewport, a pure text viewport... This got me thinking that at
least the pure text and KGL viewports would be potentially very interesting -
and me thinking the pure text one because we might well benefit from that one
in the project we are doing for uni at this moment. (next semester we'll use
the KGL one, obviously, but this semester we need something simpler)

> About Gluon lib and Gluon creator :
> So, as you know, we need to split gluon project to Gluon lib and Gluon
> creator.
> Does we need to use 2 repository for each one ?

  Sounds good! Yes, i was thinking that it might make good sense to split the
sources out a little bit, but then i realised that GluonCommon is required for
a lot of the things. I guess that could be put into a repository of its own as
well, it just seems very, very small to really do that... but i guess it makes
sense, since we have things in there that're useful, and may end up having
more, who knows :)

> And What do you need for KGL to be compatible with gluon creator ? What
>  kind of new feature ?

  We really need things split out for it to work well - the Component system
does not actually require things to be separate from each other (what you
mentioned above with separating the physics out), but it is a good idea. Also
something we should probably talk about at the meeting, though :)

> So, this week , I will create a new clone repository called : gluon-qt and
> try to use Qt 4.6 only...!
>
> About Maemo 5 , I succes to install the SDK on my computer. And Qt compile
> nice! I m sure I will success to compile gluon on it.

  Neatness! Do talk with Harry about it, he is after all one of the guys
rather deeply involved with that stuff :)

--
...Dan // Leinir..
http://leinir.dk/

                          Co-
                            existence
                          or no
                            existence

                          - Piet Hein

---
Gluon is a high-level game development library for the KDE desktop enviornment.
http://gluon.tuxfamily.org/
http://gitorious.org/gluon