[gluon] Re: kgllib and KGL : fusion ?

My previous attempt at replying seems to have gotten lost so here's another
attempt:

Ühel kenal päeval (laupäev, 26 september 2009) kirjutas idk:
> Hello ,
>
> Maybe you know the lib called "kgllib" developped by rivo lakes. I take a
> lot of stuff from it to create gluon KGL.
> kgllib provides many same class as us :
>
> GLTexture => KGLTexture
> GLShaders => KGLShaders
> GLWidget=> KGLView
> and more...
> For the most part, there are more complete as gluon/KGL.
>
> Kgllib provides an easy way to create 3d mesh, camera ... that can not
> gluon:KGL. Inversaly gluon::KGL use items and item's manager by KGLEngine.
> And physics...
> So, I think, we should make a  fusion between both projects. It's not hard
> to make KGLItem with kgllib. And it will more easy to use ODE on it...
> That's a hard refactoring... but not impossible...
> So currently it's just a thinking of myself.. I just want to say, I
>  couldn't do it alone.... !

Hi

I like the idea of using KGLLib in Gluon.
I'm not sure about merging them into a single project though. The way I see
it, KGLLib is more low-level than Gluon, providing mostly just the basic
building blocks such as texture, shader, camera, etc classes. Gluon seems to
be a higher-level library, providing item classes and scenegraph functionality
(similar to QGraphicsView, but made for using with OpenGL).

I think we should consider building Gluon on top of KGLLib. This way, you
would still get to use KGLLib's functionality without copying its classes.. And
KGLLib would remain a lower-level library which might be useful in case
someone doesn't need all the functionality provided by Gluon.
If you're concerned about adding another dependancy, it might be a solution to
have a snapshot of KGLLib inside Gluon's source tree. The relevant parts of
KGLLib are quite small so it shouldn't be much of a problem.

I don't have time to do the full conversion myself, but I could definitely
help if you decide to do it :-)

Rivo

---
Gluon is a high-level game development library for the KDE desktop enviornment.
http://gluon.tuxfamily.org/
http://gitorious.org/gluon