Re: [eigen] Vector's -= operator does not seem to work

Hung Dang said:     (by the date of Wed, 18 Mar 2020 09:06:02 -0400)

> [...] I only look from the implement perspective (\=, *=, -= ,
> and += operators are the same) and do not pay attention to the mathematical
> meaning of the expression.

Whoa! That's surprising. I am really glad that Eigen library through
the compiler errors prevents people from doing simple mathematical
mistakes.

best regards
Janek

> Best,
> Hung
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 10:53 PM Adrien Escande <adrien.escande@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > this is not working, because you are trying to subtract two elements that
> > are different in nature: a vector and a scalar. From a mathematical point
> > of view, it doesn't make sense.
> > By doing v -=2 I assume you are trying to subtract 2 from every component
> > of v. Some software like matlab offer a *shorcut* in the form v - 2, but
> > Eigen doesn't (at least not directly).
> > There are at least two ways to achieve what you want:
> >  * v -= Vector3d::Constant(2), that is you express in a proper
> > mathematical way what you want
> >  * going into array world as Janos suggested: v.array() -= 2;
> >
> > Note that v *= 2 works because it is mathematically valid to multiply a
> > vector or matrix by a scalar.
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Adrien Escande
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 10:04 AM Everton Rufino Constantino1 <
> > everton.constantino@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> Looking at VectorwiseOp.h there is an -= operator implemented...
> >> What kind of error are you seeing exactly?
> >>
> >> Everton Constantino
> >> Software Developer
> >> Application Libraries Optimisation
> >> Linux Technology Center, IBM Systems
> >> e-mail: everton.constantino@xxxxxxx

Janek Kozicki, PhD. DSc. Arch. Assoc. Prof.
Gdańsk University of Technology
Faculty of Applied Physics and Mathematics
Department of Theoretical Physics and Quantum Information
--
http://yade-dem.org/
http://pg.edu.pl/jkozicki (click English flag on top right)