Re: [eigen] Should we require c++11 for Eigen tensor

Hi!

I think some time ago there was some opposition against that step -- in fact, originally C++03 was only introduced after the first versions of the Tensor module.

I can't find a reference to that discussion at the moment, I think it concerned supporting Tensor for some GPU architecture. But this was a few years ago, and compilers likely evolved since then.

So unless there is an outcry on this list, I'm not against dropping C++03 support of the Tensor module.

For transitioning it would of course be nice to have a clear "latest working" version which still supports C++03, one possibility would be to make that with the 3.4 release. OTOH, this will just complicate maintenance and Tensors are still "unsupported" for a reason (e.g., not having to spend unnecessary time to support them ...)

So just making a clear cut before 3.4 sounds actually better -- this will also simplify to maintain the upcoming 3.4 and master versions in parallel (I guess the 3.3.x version of the Tensor module has barely been touched in recent years).

Cheers,
Christoph