Re: [eigen] maxCoeff taking reference?

Using references or pointers for output parameters is an endless debate, back in 2008 we decided to go with pointers because of the '&' sign on the call site. That's how it is, and adding reference overload will just clutter the API.

The real solution is adding:

auto [value, row, col] = mat.maxCoeffIdx();

This is also generalizable to rowwise/colwise, and we could also offer variants returning indices only:

auto [row, col] = mat.maxIdx();
Index i = vec.maxIdx();

This would need some refinement to make the following ok (this situation might occur in generic code):

auto [row, col] = vec.maxIdx();

gael