Re: [eigen] "plain": a new keyword for auto with implicit evaluation

On 2/19/2019 6:23 AM, Wood, Tobias wrote:
> Just my two cents, might be a bit off-topic here, but in my opinion it would > be a real back-step if the "hypothetical" Eigen 4 was stuck on C++11. I would > very strongly argue to at least make the step to full C++14 and potentially C++17

I wholeheartedly agree on this point. C++17 features have been a big help in my own code - I have a hunch that `if constexpr` has the potential to simplify parts of Eigen (but this is a vague hunch based on my own code and a poor understanding of Eigen’s template code). If Eigen were to make a break with C++03 compatibility it might as well be all the way to the latest standard in my opinion.

Speaking from my corner of things [1], it already took several years for the VFX industry to move up from gcc 4.4 so that we can use C++11, and the effort to move up to C++14 in past year has been hard for some customers as well. One of the sources of difficulty has bee primarily driven by Red Hat Enterprise Linux releases and another has been trying to get the entire ecosystem recompiled.

-Edward

1. http://vfxplatform.com