Re: [eigen] FYI: C++ committee proposal to solve our alignment problems

On Mon, 9 Nov 2015, Benoit Jacob wrote:

This proposal looks like what we've been waiting for, regarding nondefault
alignment not being honored by operator new, and having to overload
operator new as a result:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2015/p0035r0.html

Don't get your hopes up too soon. This is just one more iteration after
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2012/n3396.htm

The comments in the committee, while generally supportive, were summarized as "Needs more work, a backwards-compatible solution to be explored". One member in particular seemed convinced that it would break his old code...

On the other hand, if you have access to Intel's compiler, you can try the feature described in the paper. Actually, please do, and please send feedback to Intel about it, that's probably the best way you have of helping this move forward.

--
Marc Glisse