Re: [eigen] Help needed to run a benchmark on many machines

Am 18.02.2015 um 19:03 schrieb Hauke Heibel:
In VS 2012/2013, high_resolution_clock has only 1ms resolution. This
is supposedly fixed in VS 2015.

Can't we simply use bench/BenchTimer.h for this?

And even if this is experimental code, I'd prefer having this in the repository rather than sending different versions by mail.
Eventually, this might even be a starting point for performance-oriented unit-tests.

All good points. Actually, my current feeling from looking at the resulting data is that we'll never be able to find the right blocking sizes by any heuristics, so we could instead just let Eigen use the tables generated by this benchmark, ship a few tables with Eigen, and show users how they can generate a table for their own devices if they want to fully optimize Eigen for a specific device.

I've uploaded some results here:
http://download.tuxfamily.org/eigen/log-blocking-sizes/
So far, I have:
 - Nexus 4 (Qualcomm Krait CPU)
 - Nexus 5 (Qualcomm Krait 400 CPU)
 - Nexus 10 (Samsung/Cortex A-15 early revision)
 - A beefy Sandy Bridge Xeon desktop
 - A recent Mac with Haswell

Benoit

Christoph

Dipl.-Inf., Dipl.-Math. Christoph Hertzberg
Cartesium 0.049
Universität Bremen
Enrique-Schmidt-Straße 5
28359 Bremen