Re: [eigen] How to raise double to array powers in Eigen

On 18.08.2014 14:30, Chen-Pang He wrote:
If you need no optimization and want functional programming,
ArrayBase::unaryExpr with a homemade functor is enough.

If you need optimization, because all exponents are integers,
binary powering (aka exponentiation by squaring) is *the*
algorithm.   We can reuse `pow(delta, (1 << k))`.

I doubt that this is (always) the most efficient way to raise a common base to (by?) different integer exponents. It is certainly the most practicable solution to compute one power, assuming multiplication is not too expensive and the exponent is not to big. If multiplications are expensive (e.g. high-precision floats or whole matrices), then one should consider:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addition-chain_exponentiation
If the exponent is very large, the cost of log and exp eventually is cheaper than EBS and ACE.

If you raise a single base to different exponents you should somehow exploit that many multiplications can be shared -- the best technique again depends on how big (and how different) the exponents are, how costly multiplications and branches are, etc. E.g., if you know your exponents are in range [0 15] and each exponent occurs multiple times, it might be the easiest way to compute all powers sequentially into a look-up-table and then copy them to the result vector.

I assume, overall this is over-engineering the original problem, i.e., most important here is not to start premature optimization ;)

Christoph

Cheers,
Chen-Pang

在 2014 八月 18 週一 13:42:46,Ian Bell 寫道:
On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 1:28 PM, Christoph Hertzberg <