Re: [eigen] AVX support

Ah, when I saw that last week I did make note of it and figured it'd be very stupid for small matrices to say the least.

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2013/11/4 Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
Just a side note, http://code.google.com/p/blaze-lib/wiki/Benchmarks doesn't give Eigen a fair treatment.

First, it passes -DEIGEN_USE_BLAS to the compiler which means it's not actually testing Eigen, or letting Eigen fully take advantage of its _expression_ templates.

Second, it also doesn't seem to let Eigen use any SIMD. See how Eigen peaks around 3.9 MFlop/s on this 3.9 GHz CPU. No SIMD here.

Oh, I guess I'm wrong here. There are probably too many load/store instructions in this a=b+c benchmark to maximize arithmetic throughput here, I suppose.

But it remains that passing -DEIGEN_USE_BLAS is really an absurd thing to do in such a benchmark, unless the goal is to measure the performance of whichever BLAS they're using instead of measuring Eigen performance.

Benoit

Maybe you could report these issues to the maintainers of these benchmarks?

Regarding AVX support, I'm just watching Eigen from the sidelines anymore, but I'll say this: the best thing that could happen to Eigen is broadening of its user base, so it would be great to see features like AVX being contributed by new/non-core contributors.

Benoit