Re: [eigen] Extending Eigen with AVX

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 7:26 AM, Christoph Hertzberg
<chtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03.03.2013 01:09, Rohit Garg wrote:
>>
>> I can work on the PacketMath functions for AVX if there are other
>> developers more familiar with Eigen's internals who would be OK with
>> helping me integrate this. Sadly, I do not know as much about Eigen's
>

> I'm afraid it is not too trivial, mostly because AVX supports packages twice
> as large as SSE and there are some parts of Eigen where the packet size is
> hard-coded.
> There has been the idea of meta-packages some time ago (i.e. put more values
> in a package than fit in a register). On the one hand this would help
> implementing expressions involving casts (e.g. from float to double) and it
> would make AVX-integration "almost trivial".

Would it be any easier if we used AVX just for dynamic sized matrices?

>> internals as I should. Since AVX does not have integer operations, I
>

> That's quite a drawback (if packet integer operations are required in an
> algorithm) since switching between AVX and SSE is quite costly.

That is not neccesarily a problem. If you compile with -mavx on gcc,
even the SSE intrinsics use AVX instructions. They get the 3 operand
syntax for free. Integer support would become available with AVX2.

> Christoph
>

> --
> Dipl.-Inf., Dipl.-Math. Christoph Hertzberg
> Cartesium 0.049
> Universität Bremen
> Enrique-Schmidt-Straße 5
> 28359 Bremen