From: Gael Guennebaud <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx>
To: eigen <eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 03:18:50 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [eigen] banded matrices in Eigen

Hi Deaglan,

sorry for replying so late. The Skyline module should indeed be
ignored, and the goal was to support standard products and
factorizations on BandMatrix. So any help in this direction is very
welcomed. Implementation-wise my idea was to introduce a new kind of
object, let's call it a NonzeroRange (NZR in short) that represents a
vector (e.g., a column, row, or any subvector) whose non-zero are
included into a given interval. Both Dense and Band expressions would
be equipped with variants of col() and row() returning such NZR
objects. NZR would be associated to a special assignment
implementation calling the equivalent operation on the nonzero range
of coefficient only. E.g.:

dense.nonzeroCol(i) += 1.2 * band.nonzeroCol(i);

would call:

dense.col(i).segment(band.nonzeroCol(i).start(),
band.nonzeroCol(i).nonZeros()) += 1.2 * band.coeffs();

This way, the non-blocked versions of our product and factorization
algorithms would seamlessly handle dense and banded storage. This was
the general idea. Maybe this strategy contains some shortcomings...

cheers,
gael