Re: [eigen] Eigen 3.2-beta1 ??

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Jitse Niesen <jitse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I agree with preparing a 3.2 release now.

Great!

> How confident are we about fixing the interface for the Ref<> class? It
> seems pretty solid, but it would be a shame if we discover in the run-up to
> 3.3 that the need to be backward compatible is holding us back somehow.

The only way to know if it's nicely designed is to let people
experiment with it. Hopefully, with a beta release more people will
start using it, and if something is really wrong we can still fix
before the RC.

> Perhaps it's safer to declare the interface not completely fixed yet?

I'd like to avoid doing so. It's rather confusing for the users, but
we can still keep this option in mind depending on how things go.

> I started going slowly through the list of open bugs. There are still quite
> some left, though a lot are in fact enhancement requests.

yes, same here. I've already a local fix for 483. The non trivial
feature enhancement entries can be moved to next 3.3.

> What is the plan with all the bits for supporting the transition from
> Eigen2? While it's not much of a burden, at some point we should get rid of
> it.

I suggest we keep it for now, and announce it will the last release
with Eigen2 compatibility support.

gael