|[eigen] MPL2 relicensing: tracking 3rd-party code|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen <eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Daniel Berlin <dannyb@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [eigen] MPL2 relicensing: tracking 3rd-party code
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 23:06:17 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=9XfxIBApQADmdY/YPhp0PqducuqLw+iS92mXAAUfR4g=; b=frCY0FeSKes55T/P7efeOb9SqF90F1OayidO1T2RP9adWx7dNYd3ffWoiIkflGjzGI jp0VUiNpC/yVV6CCthOkD7mIGFYCuuUPhEfF1LmX1fiKRkqv4VX/W0f+9z/tpiAA4Qk8 9tzXPrNIBltHG+bf3bxlMHgrmyiSdIhf65ZwFXTAanzJWm6ZlpOUR2tRTEUfNul29b1T KkpSKrr8gpyJff8HWc4PceMijIYp6mc5PsT8nvbvyQYOUho1pstg9UWoZy/w5UOb0RQU QXTv/YK1Vwa3OVQ+/ecGm13/BIL0uhfPFuP0I1OdKDV6BU5z4Jg0GTKK+sA2DmkIJzQm ThtA==
(Daniel: questions for you below, see (*) marks).
So the relicensing effort is going really well:
- as of today we have the answers to the big questions about the
MPL2, about GPL compatibility etc. See other threads.
- the chasing down of contributors to get their approval is under
way, in another thread.
Now the biggest remaining problem is 3rd-party code.
(*) How much does it actually matter that all the 3rdparty code we use
is MPL2, is it acceptable to have 3rdparty code under BSD/MIT, and is
it acceptable to have some LGPLv3 code under Section 3 of the LGPLv3
as it's headers?
So, the next steps (looking for volunteers)
- establish a list of all the 3rd party code we have. Is there a
rational way of finding all of it at once?
- track down their copyright holders, contact them
- for the code that we won't get allowed to relicense, we could still
keep it and create a EIGEN_MPL2_ONLY mode where all the non-MPL2 code
would be disabled. Question:
(*) Would BSD/MIT 3rd-party code then have to be disabled in