Re: FFT module thoughts, was Re: [eigen] Eigen 3.0.5 Could NOT find FFTW

Hello Mark,

Thank you for creating wonderful FFT-library and integrating it with Eigen!

Today I've done some tests on using Eigen::FFT (with kissfft as a back-end) together with arbitrary precision floating-point scalars, mpreal - another "unsupported" module in Eigen.

I found that kissfft back-end is very well written, invariant of scalar type - no additional conversion was required.
However, there is one question I don't understand - hope you (or other gurus) can help.

I use multiple precision floating point numerical type and setup 300 decimal digits accuracy for computations.
Then I apply fwd on random data, do the inverse inv and compare its output with original data.
In a perfect world, difference between original data and returned by inv should much up to full precision (approx. 300 digits).

This is the case only if input data length is of power of 2 - all digits are correct (error is less than 1e-300).
However, if data length is of any other size (any - even, odd), I get only 16 correct digits (usual double precision).
This might mean that double arithmetic was used somewhere along the way in fwd or inv.

I've checked the code - and couldn't find "obvious" places myself. Could you suggest where could be a problem?

Thank you in advance, code is below.

// Setup precision to 308 decimal digits
mpfr::mpreal::set_default_prec(1024);

typedef mpfr::mpreal Real;
typedef std::complex<Real> Complex;

const int N = 16; // 2^n is "ok", others are _not_
std::vector<Real> x(N);
std::vector<Real> z;
std::vector<Complex> y;
Real norm = 0;

for (int i = 0; i < x.size(); i++) x[i] = Real((rand()/(double)RAND_MAX));

Eigen::FFT<Real> fft;
fft.fwd(y, x);

fft.inv(z, y);

// Compare with original
for (int i = 0; i < x.size(); i++) norm += (x[i]-z[i]) * (x[i]-z[i]);

std::cout<<"norm = "<<sqrt(norm)<<std::endl;