Re: [eigen] Arbitrary precision arithmetic support in Eigen

Hi Pavel,

thank you for your email. This is excellent!

Actually, the possibility to use arbitrary precision scalar types is
one of the main argument I often use to sell Eigen. So having an
officially supported module for your lib with extensive testing is
something I wanted to do for a while, but you know there are always so
many things to do.

So I'm really glad to see you added support for Eigen ;) I will add a
word on the website.

What to do next?

You said there is a lack of extensive testing. Since all our efforts
are now focused on the next Eigen version, Eigen3 which should be
release within a few months I'd rather spend time testing MPFR support
on Eigen3 than Eigen2. However, the way to add support for custom
scalar types slightly change. Fortunately, based on your current
support header file this should not be difficult. I can have a look at
it myself.

One leading question is where to put such an header file? Within Eigen
as a (MpfrSupport module) or as a standalone file as it is currently
the case? The main advantage I see in having it in Eigen itself is
that should simplify to had full and continuous testing What do you
think?

Finally, once MPFR C++ will use expression template, adding a good
support for Eigen-MPFR C++ that leverages ET at both the matrix and
scalar type level will be more tricky because Eigen will have to know
about the returned expression types of the mpreal operations. We
currently do not have an easy solution for that but this is something
we have to workout anyway for many other use cases (e.g., to nest
Eigen's Matrix/Array types, for automatic differentiation, etc.)

cheers,

gael