Re: [eigen] legal question

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2010/7/24 Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2010/7/23 Keir Mierle <mierle@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> +1 to CC-attribution
>> -1 to CC-share alike. That makes the license viral
>
> aaaaaaaaargh
>
> Everytime someone uses the word 'viral' to refer to copyleft, the
> aztec gods kill some kittens and Bill Gates has a burst of evil
> laughter.
>
>> like the GPL. Is in
>> really necessary?
>
> I just wanted to emulate the kind of weak copyleft as offered by the
> LGPL and MPL licenses.
>
> It could well be, indeed, that CC-BY-SA is actually closer to GPL: I
> just don't know!

This is indeed the case, unfortunately: CC-BY-SA is a stronger
copyleft than what we want.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/legalcode

Helmut's use case would actually be allowed since that would be a case
of "Collective Work", I guess, but slightly more intricate cases would
be unclear.

For example, I want to allow people to incorporate short excerpts from
our documentation, possibly in altered form, and have our copyleft
only cover the _part_ of their work that is a direct adaptation of
ours.

The 2 questions below remain. The lack of simple weak-copyleft
licenses, here too, is a real pity, and might indeed force us to
release our documentation without any copyleft if we really can't find
a suitable copyleft license.

What's wrong with CC-attribution? I see no reason for copyleft here.

Keir

Benoit