Re: [eigen] Proposal: documentation for Eigen3

Benoit Jacob wrote:
> Yes, wikis are great to allow people to contribute more easily.
> However, I think I still prefer Doxygen, for a few reasons:
>  - it makes it much more easy, while writing documentation, to link to
> doxygen-generated docs for classes and methods.

Isn't it possible to have it both ways?   Nowadays Eigen's wiki and doxygen
documentation coexist rather nicely.

>  - a wiki can disappear overnight if we do a mistake (rm
> eigen_wiki.db) on the server.

I believe there would be a fair number of users who would gladly store backups
for Eigen's wiki.

>  - a wiki can't be read offline

I believe that's possible, provided some steps are taken.  For example, the
following mediawiki extensions appears to be very promising.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Pdf_Book
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Collection
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Pdf_Export

>  - some of our users (e.g. willowgarage) embed a build of our dox into
> their own dox. A wiki wouldn't allow them to do that easily.
>  - it's good  to be able to distribute the dox alongside the software.

Using a wiki for the documentation doesn't take that away.

>  - dox files are actual files, and moreover have a very simple syntax,
> they're almost just plain text files. Bonus for the long-term.
>  - when one does a modification in the code, having the dox in the
> same hg repo allows to adapt them simultaneously, keeping it in sync.
> When we branch the code, we automatically branch the dox. With dox on
> the wiki, it would be hard to maintain dox for Eigen 2.0, 3.0, 3.1,
> ..., eventually 4.0.

With enough users you could simply let the wiki "ferment" over time.  I
believe there is a considerable number of users who are more than willing to
contribute to the project and editing a wiki is a terribly easy way to do just
that.  Moreover, it would make it possible for the documentation to cover
corner cases which otherwise would remain undocumented.

Rui Maciel