Re: [eigen] Sparse Matrix Support

As far as API goes, I think a triplet based constructor like matlab
and cholmod provide, where you supply an array of (i,j,s) triplets
where M(i,j) =s would be very useful. That way the user can build the
matrix in whatever order they want and then just hand over the data to
the SparseMatrix constructor.

I have used this way of constructing sparse matrices with great
success in both c++ and matlab code.

In terms of what the libary should support in the short term versus
long term,  I would argue for basic BLAS level support for sparse
matrices for now before we worry about LAPACK level stuff like
solvers. Most people interested in sparse matrices would be more
interested in support for various iterative solvers and
preconditioners, all of which only require fairly basic operations.

For now as long as you offer access to the internal storage of the
sparse matrix or allow convenience functions for people to convert
that data into something that they can pass to the sparse direct
solver of their choice, they are free to call the solver any which way
they please.

And last but not the least, have you given any thought to supporting
block sparse matrices?

Sameer