Re: [eigen] Allocation policy of eigen decompositions

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 7:03 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2010/4/21 Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian <adolfo.rodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> [...]
>> ComplexEigenSolver uses ComplexSchur. In all these cases there is potential
>> for re-using memory, reducing the memory footprint. Whether it's worthwhile
>> to save O(n^2) memory in an O(n^3) algorithm is another matter ... perhaps
>> not the most pressing issue.
>>

>> Merging EigenSolver and ComplexEigenSolver
>>
>> My other big question is whether to merge the EigenSolver and
>> ComplexEigenSolver classes. Intuitively, I should say yes, and that's also
>> what the ToDo list on the wiki says. However, the interface of EigenSolver
>> and ComplexEigenSolver are rather different. EigenSolver stores the
>> eigenvalues and the pseudo-eigenvectors, so EigenSolver::eigenvectors()
>> returns MatrixType (this can be replaced via the ReturnByValue mechanism but
>> that does not matter for this discussion). ComplexEigenSolver stores the
>> eigenvalues and the eigenvectors, so ComplexEigenSolver::eigenvectors()
>> returns a const ref to MatrixType. How do we merge them?
>>
>> One possibility is to have eigenvectors() in the merged EigenSolver class
>> return a MatrixType if the scalar type is real and a const ref to MatrixType
>> if the scalar type is complex. This is similar to eval() returning sometimes
>> a matrix and sometimes a const ref. However, it may be confusing to users.
>>
>> The second possibility is to have the merged EigenSolver class store the
>> eigenvectors and not the pseudo-eigenvectors in the real case. However, this
>> costs twice as much memory because the eigenvectors are complex and the
>> pseudo-eigenvectors are real. As the real case is the important case, this
>> is not ideal.
>>
>> Then there is the minor issue that (real) EigenSolver has a
>> pseudoEigenvector() method and ComplexEigenSolver has not. However, we can
>> include a pseudoEigenvector() method in the merged EigenSolver class, and
>> have it return the eigenvectors in the complex case. I don't think this is a
>> problem.
>>
>> There is a third possibility: not to merge (real) EigenSolver and
>> ComplexEigenSolver.
>>
>> For bonus points, discuss merging RealSchur and ComplexSchur.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Jitse
>>

>> PS: Adolfo, the Eigenvalues part of your patch looks good, at first sight.
>> Incidentally, how do you test that there are no malloc's?
>
> Mmmh,  I used a hand-made approach. Consider an example:

> const int size = 5;
> MatrixXd A(MatrixXd::Random(size, size));
>
> Eigen::LLT<MatrixXd> LLT(size);
> // LLT.compute(A); // <- Notice commented-out line
>

> I would compile this first and run it with valgrind, which prints out
> something like:
>
> total heap usage: 10 allocs, 10 frees, 267,992 bytes allocated
>
> Then I would uncomment the last line and run with valgrind again. If no more
> allocs are made, we're good to go. Now, there must be a more civilized way
> of doing this, but this was my quick&dirty solution.

This is a quite good approach. If you want something 'civilized', you
can leverage the fact that all of Eigen's heap allocations go through
a few functions in Memory.h: ei_aligned_malloc,
ei_conditional_aligned_malloc<false>, ... i think that's it. Grep for
EIGEN_NO_MALLOC, actually.

I'll give that a try when the time comes to finish up the Eigenvalues module :)
BTW, I opened up a bitbucket account. My user name is adolfo.rodriguez

Adolfo

So you could implement a check or counter using some global boolean
variable there to turn it on and off... of course we don't want that
in Eigen but you could easily hack that locally.

Benoit