Re: [eigen] Propagating Max*AtCompileTime template parameters to decompositions

Hi Adolfo,

Many thanks for this patch. It's been sitting in the back of my mind
nagging me for a while :) These fixes are definitely wanted.

Just 2 things:

1. All the MatrixType:: is a bit heavy so could you please introduce
enums like is being done in ColPivHouseholderQR.h, in other
decompositions? So MatrixType::MaxBlabla becomes just MaxBlaBla.

2. You generated this patch with "diff" so it doesn't credit you, and
you haven't written your commit msg. Could you please follow the
instructions given there:
http://eigen.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Developer%27s_Corner#Generating_a_patch

Yes, this mailing list is the right place for such patches... the
issue tracker is useful to report bugs without being immediately able
to fix them.

Benoit

2010/3/4 Adolfo Rodríguez Tsouroukdissian <dofo79@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been performing some tests with dynamic matrices that have a
> compile-time max size, and found out that for most matrix decompositions,
> the MaxRowsAtCompileTime and MaxColsAtCompileTime template parameters of the
> input matrix are not propagated to the decomposition's members and
> temporaries. This leads to undesired and preventable heap allocations. The
> following is a minimal example of what I mean:
>
> typedef Matrix<double, dynamic, dynamic, 0, 10, 10> Mat;
> Mat A(Mat::Random(5, 5));
>
> FullPivLU<Mat> ldlt(A); // Allocates 4 temps
> LDLT<Mat> ldlt(A);      // Allocates 3 temps
>
> I'm attaching a patch against the devel branch (commit 2589:8a8f4e9e04bf)
> that deals with this issue for the Cholesky, LU, QR and SVD modules. Since
> most of these modules are experimental and undergoing heavy work, the style
> of the modifications changes form file to file (some use convenience enums,
> some not). However, I tried to stay consistent within the context of each
> file. Please let me know your thoughts on the matter.

Yes so actually, please introduce enums everywhere :)

> One very specific
> note: in line 65 of HouseHolderQR.h I left the Options template parameter
> as-is, but don't know if it should be changed to that of MatrixType.

Great catch! Please change that to Options (as defined on line 57).

Thanks
Benoit