Re: [eigen] Google Summer of Code

2010/3/6 Stephen McCracken <stevemcc@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I understand your point of view here.  But consider that you are also in competition with other open-source projects for manpower, and ignoring GSOC is a disadvantage.  For example, I'm looking for a good summer project, but I'm basically agnostic about whether it's Eigen or SciPy or something else.

That's exactly the problem --- what we're really looking for is people
who are likely to turn into long term contributors, to take care of
boring stuff in the project, etc. Such people are not 'agnostic' at
all whether they contribute to Eigen or to some other library: they
contribute to Eigen because they're specifically interested in Eigen.

The thing is, such people tend to join our project regardless of
whether they get any material compensation for it... ;)

This is why I'm still not convinced that the GSOC program is making a
real difference for FOSS projects. It's certainly a great opportunity
for the students, and as such it is already very useful and positive.
So if any other core eigen developer thinks he has time to handle the
paperwork and mentor a student, he is more than welcome to do so...

Benoit