|Re: [eigen] Google Summer of Code|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] Google Summer of Code
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2010 14:08:40 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=tqOmYoJqxUL8OG1NK17mmIYzz1Omuz2UUHW6spGTI7U=; b=kOHENZUYyAWzBHOTMR1kBGehvmq9PRqqwV1tUVqyUzzrevjPQ0XKU76YBS/LkdK6T5 L6caOZFdwuiNe+46GMWf33fXexirYlhzIJ9DQXB4ED0LPWQeftaC0ynXAqR+aoeiHKTV DIRbbaKGTQdfa++j64W/typW5EWj1RJblYCUI=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=UTDMItBmqqBe8LQTc5Aep2fX5HHJzCdxy4q/hsYCnahB6DMMNqWfvNRb7j0AYgH6uM vDx3SDRdnqeGqif1xR/A1Y8YhD0vpU9tAViFi8NKMZ2vjrQtxOr+Drz4XPEcz80JiJpR 8QuFLkY9HdOBmf916QktJkTDOYJ8K8JZIgoVY=
2010/3/6 Stephen McCracken <stevemcc@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I understand your point of view here. But consider that you are also in competition with other open-source projects for manpower, and ignoring GSOC is a disadvantage. For example, I'm looking for a good summer project, but I'm basically agnostic about whether it's Eigen or SciPy or something else.
That's exactly the problem --- what we're really looking for is people
who are likely to turn into long term contributors, to take care of
boring stuff in the project, etc. Such people are not 'agnostic' at
all whether they contribute to Eigen or to some other library: they
contribute to Eigen because they're specifically interested in Eigen.
The thing is, such people tend to join our project regardless of
whether they get any material compensation for it... ;)
This is why I'm still not convinced that the GSOC program is making a
real difference for FOSS projects. It's certainly a great opportunity
for the students, and as such it is already very useful and positive.
So if any other core eigen developer thinks he has time to handle the
paperwork and mentor a student, he is more than welcome to do so...
> An extra USD $5k and GSOC cred could definitely tip the scales for me :)
> On Mar 6, 2010, at 10:45 AM, Benoit Jacob wrote:
>> ok, apparently we had until March 8, this monday... but i dont have
>> time to prepare the paperwork and I won't have time to mentor
>> anyone... and I believe that Gael and Hauke are busy too. It's not
>> necessarily a big problem though: we already have a very healthy flow
>> of new contributors. Our real challenge is to turn new contributors
>> into long term core contributors, but GSOC doesn't help with that.
>> I've been a mentor in the past for a successful student who became a
>> core contributor to the project in question (not Eigen) and I've
>> always thought that the GSOC didn't make a huge difference since this
>> guy was so motivated that he'd done that anyway.
>> 2010/3/3 Stephen McCracken <stevemcc@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>> Apparently there is no need to register separately: you just need to submit an application by March 12. See the links below for more details:
>>> Mentoring Organizations FAQs (http://j.mp/9bvQuv)
>>> Notes on Organizations Selection Criteria (http://j.mp/ajfEU2)
>>> AdviceForMentors Wiki (http://j.mp/bdsU6r)
>>> On Mar 3, 2010, at 8:38 PM, Benoit Jacob wrote:
>>>> We haven't even registered _as_ a mentoring organization :) Perhaps next year.
>>>> 2010/3/3 Stephen McCracken <stevemcc@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>>>> Hello Eigen folks,
>>>>> Does the Eigen project plan to offer any Google Summer of Code projects this year? Google will be accepting applications from "mentoring organizations" during March 8-12 (see http://socghop.appspot.com/).