Re: [eigen] resizing in ReturnByValue assignment

2010/3/8 Mark Borgerding <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 03/08/2010 09:56 AM, Benoit Jacob wrote:
>>
>> 2010/3/8 Mark Borgerding<mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>

>>> My concern is that there is no value added by the initial resize.  At
>>> best
>>> it is a NOOP.  At worst, it is a silent performance killer when resizes
>>> don't match exactly.
>>>
>>> In the case of Inverse FFTs, the size of the output depend on the TYPE of
>>> output requested. This is NOT available during the construction of the
>>> proxy
>>> object.  It is not available until the evalTo is called.
>>>

>> Strange. We didn't design ReturnByValue for this use case. So your
>> problem is deeper: you can't, then, implement rows()/cols() in the
>> ReturnByValue-derived class. This means that, calling foo() your
>> function returning a ReturnByValue object, you can't support general
>> arithmetic expressions like
>>
>>     some_matrix + foo()
>>
>> as that would require foo() to evaluate into a temporary matrix, but
>> it can't know its size (or that would be far too complex logic to
>> determine in general from the expression it is being nested into).
>>

> Now I see the need for the rows,cols in nested expressions.  This need is
> not evident in the simple case
>  some_matrix = foo();
> but
>  some_matrix = foo()*42;
> is nested and requires more knowledge.
>

> Actually, the limitation goes well beyond not knowing the size. The
> ReturnByValue needs to know the type of temporary to be created first (by
> ReturnType typedef).
>
> This knowledge can be provided by casting to a temporary (see example code
> below), but that is not a perfect solution either, since it requires actual
> allocation of a temporary, rather than a chainable placeholder.
>
>    // pre-example code
>    VectorXf real1,real2;
>    VectorXcf cpx1;
>    real1.setRandom(len);
>    FFT<float> fft;
>    fft.SetFlag( fft.HalfSpectrum );
>    fft.fwd(cpx1,real1);
>
>    // EXAMPLE CODE
>    fft.inv(real2,cpx1); // #1 original style calling convention, destination
> is first arg
>    real2 = fft.inv(cpx1); // #2 this succeeds, but has an extra resize in
> DenseStorageBase::operator=
>    real2 = fft.inv(cpx1)*42; // #3 this fails to compile -- cannot infer
> result type
>    real2 = VectorXf(fft.inv(cpx1))*42; // #4 this succeeds, but has extra
> resize from #2 plus a heavyweight temporary object
>
> The fact that #3 does not work and #4 is not efficient does not detract from
> how much prettier #2 is compared with #1.  I very much like the style of
> ReturnByValue. I refuse to give up on it yet for Eigen::FFT.

Why don't you template your inv() method in the destination scalar type? Like:

 real2 = fft.inv<double>(cpx1);
vs.
 cpx2 = fft.inv<complex<double> >(cpx1);

This would be in line with our general design decision of doing almost
no implicit casting.

Or another option: since these are 2 different notions why not 2
different methods?
 real2 = fft.realInverse(cpx1);
 cplx2 = fft.cplxInverse(real1);

of course you could still keep inv() for the case where the
destination type is identical to the scalar type...

> Option 1.
> Is there a proxy matrix type that would allow one to explicitly name the
> type of matrix expected, but defer its actual creation until later?

no... that's complicated!

> Option 2.
> Alternately, I propose a companion, simpler, ReturnByValue class that
> retains most of the syntactic benefits of the ReturnByValue
> , but cannot be nested in an expression (unless explicitly casted).  Perhaps
> a specialization of ReturnByValue would provide the simpler proxy I need.

But it would be confusing for the user that certain ReturnByValue
pseudo expressions can be nested, and some can't.

Benoit