|Re: [eigen] ComplexEigenSolver with real matrices|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] ComplexEigenSolver with real matrices
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:18:10 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=yRqraV+CELQ2nmH+/hd/66ZO46Lyurt/yvriNamI7K4=; b=xe9dTtfwJFWvLGOIlh6c2hsnET0UfAGOAe8dRzAMINj6hxFaNlE1kbd93uJelv34NO /CtMuNtzSHdaf5aBy+EXhPNDmChVh58FCtivudMqwzxGhzsqdPVfcQwdElpNnA0HbaSu SGTo9hf4w4E0LTKsVfVeGEUovXnipSr74NcNw=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=HHnzsIBtjmw9bNqM2OdOwKVRM3I+ctAMlzj546I+YY7yguRtq0fWlkWsRcOGL/KNJb /L1NRHF4bRoBPnNrgERbhfvXIJre3MLqHOSBmyMM7LjzL6SmsZlD80wxtQu9UQGXTPbI Rhq2b1bS9VHvaDbGBE4FqHAEySpHTPzV/WFT4=
My opinion is not very important on these matters as I didn't
contribute at all to that module. However, here it is:
2010/3/18 Jitse Niesen <jitse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I am looking in more detail to the Eigenvalues module, since I'm using it in
> the MatrixFunctions module.
> One thing I noticed is that ComplexEigenSolver<Matrix3f> does not work,
> because Matrix3f is a real matrix. Is this supposed to work?
I'd say yes! There definitely is a use case for that. To begin with,
ComplexEigensolver is "the" mathematical notion of
eigenvalues/vectors, and we want it for real matrices as well!
> The many
> typedefs, distinguishing between real and complex scalars, seem to indicate
> so, and it shouldn't be hard to make it work. But if it's not supposed to
> work, I can add a note in the documentation.
> The other thing is that the code is, ummm, not as tidy as the rest of the
> Eigen code base. I also noted the item in the todo list for 3.0: "The
> implementation borrowed from JAMA should be rewritten in a clean way
> separating the Real Schur decomposition as for the complex case. Then the
> ComplexEigenSolver and EigenSolver should be merged." Any objections if I
> start refactoring the code, add documentation, etc? As you know, I work
> slowly so I'm unlikely to make the 3.0 deadline.
Go ahead (and you are most welcome to!! As for the 3.0 deadline:
- all what is needed for 3.0 is a stable API and decent (not great) code.
- we discussed that if needed, it would be OK to leave part of the
Eigenvalues module in unsupported/ for 3.0. That could include
- we'll see where things are in a few months, if needed we'll make a
big push on Eigenvalues before the release.