Re: [eigen] Re: meeting in February?

On Monday 11 January 2010 19:42:23 Benoit Jacob wrote:
> The biggest purpose of ei_traits<...> is forward-declarations.
> Actually, at some point, I named it ForwardDecl<...>. The idea is that
> with our CRTPs, when we want to access Derived::SomeTypedef from
> MatrixBase<Derived>, we can't, because Derived isn't fully declared at
> that point, so we put SomeTypedef instead in ei_traits<Derived>. Does
> that help? Should ei_traits be renamed?

Let me drop my thoughts now.
You see, all what you are talking about is rather obscure to me. I more or less know what traits are used for, but this is really blur to me. When i read such mails, i can't help but thinking that all this valuable information should be put somewhere (doxygen, wiki?).

I'm really sure i can't give any useful talk at the eigen meeting, but I'm avid of knowledge of this kind, and if i manage to understand enough, I'll try to complete some documentation.

Don't get me wrong : the documentation for eigen is really cool. I could do whatever i want within 5 minutes and that's one of the points that convinced me of using eigen at the beginning (I did a quite complete study of what exist, Eigen won!). What I'm talking about here is design doc: documentation for those working on eigen internals, not for users.

Anyway, I'm looking forward for the meeting, and I'm sorry I can't provide 'content' to it :/

Thomas
--
Thomas Capricelli <orzel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.freehackers.org/thomas