Re: [eigen] BLAS backend

In data venerdì 16 ottobre 2009 11:08:48, Christian Mayer ha scritto:
> Parallelisation at the algorithm level (= expression template level)
> gives you the advantage to perform operations that have no dependancy at
> each other. For example:
>
>   result = A*B + C*D    (A,B,C,D are big matrices)
>
> It's much better to have - one a two core CPU - one thread that's
> calculation A*B and another doing C*D than both threads fighting each
> other (= locks) doing A*B and then doing an C*D...

I can just agree here. I really see an advantage to offer parallelisation at
high level (algorithms) rather than low-level.
At low-level, maybe cuda or multi-core stuff could be useful, but i would be
really surprised to have MPI/OpenMP stuff being really useful.

I already use threads for heavy computation based on eigen, and i'm perfectly
happy with that. Though, of course, my use case is a really-easy-to-
parallelize one :-)

regards,
--
Thomas Capricelli <orzel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>