Re: [eigen] Eigen namspace

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Hauke Heibel <hauke.heibel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2009/10/21 Hauke Heibel <hauke.heibel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Anyways, it seems to be already decided.

It was as long as we considered it a no-brainer, but given the
reactions on this list, i don't consider it "already decided" anymore!

Well, so far it was just a single reaction - mine :)

Though the only striking reason against renaming, as said before, is that I think it really is a big effort to change all projects.. You mentioned correctly, that within Eigen it will be little to no effort - but you should not forget about other projects using Eigen there the story is a different one.

Well, theoretically, one could make up the reason that the less descriptive the namespace the higher the chances that another lib will pick the same namespace and thus cause a name clash... actually, just google for "namespace ei" and you'll see.

what do you think about my later proposal of keeping Eigen and
introducing synonym ei?

I'ld totally prefer this solution because it is 100% transparent for the user.

well then perhaps we can simply keep Eigen, and let the users declare their own preferred alias:

namespace ei = Eigen;

gael.