|Re: [eigen] New contributors section|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] New contributors section
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 13:34:33 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=vDy8h5DDyG7NK3la1qmLedzSn/c1/W3iiilylye8g8E=; b=BAeSb2NB6mrAqD9a45tC9XdH6fqzLGla2q3DA7wvJOMtbbB29SbZ4sSRV4tna+dGfy yJE8nYYj36OHUiNrjIFX/n40g3fuEBCMcelw7e9SsZtDsJNeco5MZ4nmlAD0eQDoiZjt m+Y6uoE55dmdkgZNLR/a+cTrslwokKuLuiOX8=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; b=ipiF51HY13XtdDcgKmwjeSk1aYgK7WY9PRtqaBzQms5281B0CfwA4ZmUwviaXMXCNr W9OFPaww4Ypdw0jpstZ/13K5k54o/TZRMzUdQaZH0CPifh0A2DrFbzXlQyijYUkLg6Me umU3cQufV7mgmbYwxWzMgKTixpGeupYM85hhQ=
2009/9/24 Hauke Heibel <hauke.heibel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Jitse Niesen <jitse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009, Benoit Jacob wrote:
>>> As you can see,
>>> the contributors section is now automatically generated: that will
>>> prevent the chronic problem that nobody took care to update it.
>>> I would like to know if you think that this is a bad idea (I don't
>>> want to give the impression that I don't care about contributors, it's
>>> all the opposite. But I understand that auto-generating this may seem
>>> a bit cold).
>> [...] I prefer the previous order (Gael and you first, and then the rest
>> in alphabetical order).
> I would also opt for this ordering.
OK, me too, I can see how alphabetic is more friendly. I make the change now.
Jitse: I also agree that no scalar metric can give a fair view of
one's contributions. These numbers are only interesting as "orders of
*ding* I just had an idea, what would be super cool would be a tool to
generate a "geographic map" of a project where different contributors
would be assigned zones, with area proportional to their contribution,
and with adjacency showing who works with whom.
>> However, I would keep the descriptions of all contributions (things like
>> "MSVC compatibility fixes, aligned_allocator fixes" for Hauke in the
>> previous version).
> But that should stay up to the contributor since at some point the list will
> be tricky to maintain.
I was going to raise that point. For example, in the case of Hauke,
it's impossible to list in one line a fair summary of what he did, so
indeed that can only be handled each for himself. So the only change
is that Misc gets renamed to [empty column header] and each of us puts
what he wants there.