Re: [eigen] Re: Rigid transformations in eigen: use of dual quaternions

careful, your patch affects test/CMakeLists.txt in unwanted ways !

that aside: for now, we only dealt with unit quaternions. These are
the quaternions that correspond to 3D rotations.

That's the main reason why we didn't implement q1+q2 and q*scalar.

Now your patch does work, but it's not always efficient, because the
operators return by value and so when you do s1*q1+s2*q2 you traverse
the arrays 3 times instead of once. Again this doesn't matter with
floats and SSE, but it does with double and/or without SSE.

Making this efficient would require again doing expression templates.
If we wanted to take that route, I guess we could as well make
Quaternion inherit MatrixBase instead of reimplementing everything. Or
even Matrix. I don't remember the chain of thinking that led to the
current design, it's Gael who took care of that. It has the advantage
of being simple and covering _unit_ quaternions appropriately.

But are you sure that what you're trying to do with s1*q1+s2*q2 isn't
just the same as slerp() ? because it looks seriously reminiscent of
it!

Benoit