|[eigen] Re: converting to Hg|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen <eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [eigen] Re: converting to Hg
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 03:02:04 +0200
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=psy4m3vJnZLKIaj2x+e4tB5q+vauRTpqYFRoeszdhPQ=; b=WI0+a478yGhAYz/+NSWVoNhyZuifhjlIc1YnIBrLnQ+K7+66yHO9xOUcc04gkjkWVZ 6Nf1i0m7HlJCot+gDZ8ibCU7+xUq6q/MtTm8DUEuK5aLrQjtPiT7b+TNiyItW0Nx5Jtv CjIwL+T3i9uqZ6atIhAvwKYjU3Cwsa1k8xYgQ=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type:content-transfer-encoding; b=kSKG8ovf6UXpv7E8J0aHdojKHR+zxncw7fODmuFrSNLfeFnp20GaEcnb1hPeELBi5j VGwDHLplDesCa7v5yMr1RMW9Z38JtuM3q2fxWwWhOzLXPCDHubNWKoKfxSpCm3I28urd icjkwYo+/J1ahoHWymRtsnt4TvvxsFWRR+XgI=
1) We'll wait until next week to do the actual move, as it's more
convenient for Thomas. Actually, we also need some time to get
acquainted with Hg.
2) Speaking of which, here's an issue i've been trying to figure out.
Suppose i make a local change (call that commit a), and the same file
was modified by someone else meanwhile (call that commit b), so before
pushing my change to the repository I need to pull and merge (call
that commit c). Fine. Now if I push this to the repository, I'm
actually pushing not only my useful commit "a", but also the
merge-commit "c". So the repository now looks like:
While with SVN, only this history would be recorded:
- is this a normal thing with a DVCS, that i need to get used to? Does
it add value, in your experience? Or is this useless cluttering of the
- if it's useless cluttering: how can we avoid it? I guess that's the
same question as when Gael asked if it was possible to fusion multiple
commits into 1 commit?
2009/5/7 Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2009/5/7, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> That aside, the next steps are:
>> 0) important: no commit anymore in SVN
> To clarify: this hasn't started yet. You may still commit to SVN. I'll
> write again to this list when i'm tagging.
> Also: Gael I remember you said we needed to clarify the workflow with
> Hg before doing the move. Good point.
> So the move hasn't started yet.