Re: [eigen] Map's and not Maps

But just FYI, while we're at it, there are a few ways in which already
today you can use Eigen to vectorize operations on Vector3f's.

For example suppose you have a dynamic array of n Vector3f's. You
could replace it with a single matrix of type

Matrix<float, 3, Eigen::Dynamic> matrix(3, n);

i.e. the i-th column is the i-th vector from your array.

Then, for many operations, Eigen is able to treat the whole matrix as
a single vector of length 3*n. This allows Eigen to perform some very
efficient vectorization. Inside Eigen, we call that
LinearVectorization.

For example, if you add two such matrices, Eigen vectorizes that very
well as a single addition of vectors of length 3*n, for any n (if it's
not a multiple of 4 Eigen will finish the last few coefficients
without vectorization).

2008/12/8 Keir Mierle <mierle@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 4:07 AM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> I think that Benjamin was only asking for it to be possible at all,
>> letting alone vectorization... hence your example,
>>
>> > template<Derived>
>> > float SomeCoolFunction(MatrixBase<Derived>& v, void* somedata)
>> > {
>> >     EIGEN_STATIC_ASSERT_VECTOR_SPECIFIC_SIZE(Derived,3);
>> >     // ...
>> > }
>>
>> is, as far as I understand, exactly what he is asking for.
>>
>> Benjamin: Yes you can make a SomeCoolFunction that takes seamlessly
>> either a Vector3f or a Map<Vector3f>, that is done as above, actually
>> this construction occurs all over the place in Eigen.
>>
>> Anyway there is no vectorization possible for Vector3f at all because
>> 3*sizeof(float) == 12 <sizeof_a_packet == 16.
>
> Since 2 and 3 are quite common operations it might be worth investigating if
> it's faster to do vectorized 4-ops where the last elements are ignored.
>
> For example, for element wise multiply, pack the three elements into the
> 4-wide register, put a zero in the last register, then ignore the result in
> last element.
>
> It's probably necessary to benchmark if such a hack is worthwhile.
>
> Cheers,
> Keir
>

>> Cheers,
>> Benoit
>>
>> 2008/12/8 Gael Guennebaud <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> >
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > you guessed right, the major issue avoiding such a construction is owing
>> > the alignment of the data. Indeed, the vectorization of some fixed size
>> > vector/matrix types assume that the data are correctly aligned. So, in a
>> > general, you cannot avoid to generate 2 versions of SomeCoolFunction,
>> > one
>> > with the vectorization and one without (see below).
>> >
>> > In the very specific cases where the vectorization is disabled and/or
>> > you
>> > know the vector type won't be vectorized by Eigen or you know the data
>> > are
>> > aligned, then you can still simply cast your pointer:
>> >
>> > float result = SomeCoolFunction(*reinterpret_cast<Vector3f*>(inputdata),
>> > bla);
>> >
>> > For instance, for Vector3f this is always ok because this type cannot be
>> > vectorized. (if we forget the use of reinterpret_cast which is not super
>> > clean)
>> >

>> > A much more general solution is to template SomeCoolFunction and use
>> > static
>> > assertions to check the input types, eg:
>> >
>> > template<Derived>
>> > float SomeCoolFunction(MatrixBase<Derived>& v, void* somedata)
>> > {
>> >     EIGEN_STATIC_ASSERT_VECTOR_SPECIFIC_SIZE(Derived,3);
>> >     // ...
>> > }
>> >
>> > The advantage of this approach is that you can take as input any vector
> [...]

---