Re: [eigen] copyright / license question

Exactly, the best thing to do is to ask the author for permission to
relicense.

Note that our license is "LGPL3+ or GPL2+", not "LGPL 2.1 or GPL3"; also note
that the "+" matters, i.e. when asking the author you need to ask
specifically to allow future versions.

On Monday 03 November 2008 14:33:13 Gael Guennebaud wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in the sparse module I added a LDL^T factorization / solver based on
> the code of the LDL library which is LGPL 2.1 or later. The initial
> code is about 50 lines of code and for double only, so it is much
> better to simply copy/paste it in Eigen and adapt it to make it
> suitable for any scalar types, etc... (this is what I did).  This code
> concerns only 2 functions of the SparseLDLT class. My question is
> regarding legal issues: how should I proceed for the license and
> copyright ?  Perhaps I should put the implementation of these 2
> functions in a separate file with "LGPL2.1 or later" only for the
> license (and of course credit the author Timothy Davis) ? This might
> also be a problem since the rest of Eigen2 is also GPL3, so maybe I
> could also ask the author to allow us to relicense it as  "LGPL2.1 or
> later or GPL3"  ???
>
> As you can see I'm newbie with such issues, so what do you think ?
>
> gael.
>
> ---

---