Re: [eigen] speed with g++-4.2

On Sunday 30 September 2007 16:24:08 Andre Krause wrote:
> Benoît Jacob wrote:
> > Hi List,
> >
> > Following Michael's post I upgraded to g++ 4.2.1 and I get results
> > similar to his. In my small benchmark, the speed of eigen2 with g++-4.2
> > is 4x faster than eigen2 with g++-4.1, and 10% faster than tvmet with
> > g++-4.2.
> >
> > Even better, this is with the latest svn revision in which the
> > __restrict__'s have been removed. So it looks like we won't need to use
> > restricted pointers, which is relieving.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Benoit
>
> just one word: AWESOME! keep on!
>
> maybe someone could make speed tests with visual c++ ? i do not have the
> time currently...

Thanks:) I don't have a windows development environment, but I sure would
welcome all feedback. I sure want eigen2 to at least compile with various
compilers. As for speed tests, if some minor tweaking can improve performance
with VC++, let's do it. For instance, if VC++ has a direct equivalent for
gcc's __attribute__((always_inline)) then let's define EI_ALWAYS_INLINE to be
that, in the case the compiler is VC++.