[crisos] ext2 or ext3 filesystem on usb stick.

I've just installed CrisOS on my foxboard, and love the fact the whole file system is read/write, and I can install applications without rebuilding the kernel.

First thing I did is install Python, unfortunately, the ROM went from 22% full to 98% full, Python is simply too big to fit on the 8MB ROM. I still wanted to add Lighttpd and some other tools, but this way they simply won't fit, so some other method is needed.

I wanted to install Python, then move it to a USB memstick, which is permanently inserted, and symlink it to the original location, I should then be able to install other software after, without losing Python.

Now I have found two problems when trying this, plus a third to do with SD cards:

First of all, if you stick in a USB stick that is FAT32 or FAT16 formatted, CrisOS automatically mounts it, which is great. But... no long filenames, filenames are in 8.3 format, with ~1 and then truncated, which is useless for me, as now I cannot move Python to the flash disk, long filenames are required.

Second problem seems to be a bug in the ext2 and ext3 kernel modules, neither work. Now I would much rather format the USB stick as ext2 or ext3 anyway, completely get rid of FAT32. However, when I load the ext2 or ext3 kernel module, I get the following error:

root@OpenWrt:/# insmod ext2
insmod: cannot insert '/lib/modules/2.6.19.2/ext2.ko': Unknown symbol in module (-1): No such file or directory

and the same happens when you type "insmod ext3".

Now the third bug I found is when you install the package kmod-foxboard-mmc (it isn't installed by default), then try to modprobe that, to get SD card support:

root@OpenWrt:/# insmod mmc_drv

nothing happens, and typing "ls /dev" doesn't show any mmc0 device

however, typing "dmesg | tail" shows:

mmc_drv: module license 'unspecified' taints kernel.

That one looks fairly easy to fix, just change the license from "unspecified" to "gpl" or something, but I don't know how to do that :)

Anyway, the main thing I would like to see fixed is ext2 or ext3 support, so I can move Python to a USB stick formatted as ext2, but it would even be nicer if the MMC driver is also fixed, so I can just format an SD card as ext2 instead of using the memstick.