[cllfst] Fwd: [TECTONIC] Open source news from Africa

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
Date: Jul 20, 2006 9:05 PM
Subject: [TECTONIC] Open source news from Africa
To: nizar.tlili@xxxxxxxxx

TECTONIC NEWS - 20 July, 2006
Tracking the shifts in technology
www.tectonic.co.za

ONLINE LPI TRAINING LAUNCHED
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1068&s=news
SA Linux trainers Linux Holdings have launched a full range of LPI
training courses that will be taught using online and correspondence
methods. Providing the courses online with a mix of chat, forums and
training materials will allow the company to keep their prices down
as well as give students longer-term support.

MAKING THE MESSAGE STICK
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1067&s=news
The Geek Freedom League is engaging in some 'guerrilla branding' this
month with a sticker competition. The person who finds 'the most
ingenious use' of a GFL sticker, will be given the choice of an iPod
Nano or digital camera. Entries thus far have included GFL-branded
beer bottles, pets and keyboards.

OPEN SOURCE POWERS WELSH E-THESES PROJECT
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1065&s=news
A newly launched electronic theses deposit system, the Repository
Bridge, allows theses produced at Welsh universities to be
automatically and electronically added and stored at the National
Library of Wales thanks to open source software.

WEST AFRICA DEVELOPER ROADSHOW GETS ROLLING
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1060&s=news
The second-ever Africa developer roadshow, this time in West Africa,
will be held in Ghana during August and organisers are looking for
developers from across the region to attend. Workshops on the agenda
include localisation and further development of the
education-in-a-box project.

SHUTTLEWORTH DISCUSSES FUTURE OF OSS
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1061&s=news
Mark Shuttleworth addresses ApacheCon Europe in Dublin, his theme the
future direction of open source and the challenges it still faces
&ndash; some from within.

NOVELL'S SUSE LINUX 10 RELEASED
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1062&s=news
Coinciding with its local roadshow, Novell today announced the
woldwide release of Suse Linux Enterprise 10, the company's latest
release of its operating system that it is hoping will win over big
market share in both the desktop and server sectors.

INSTANT HELP WITH QUNU.COM
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1058&s=news
An innovative expert help service is turning heads in cyberspace.
Richard Frank caught up with Capetonian co-founder, Helmar Rudolph.

IOSN RELEASES FREE OPEN STANDARDS BOOK
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1059&s=news
Many governments and organisations are moving towards open standards
and frameworks. To assist users in understanding open standards the
International Open Source Network has released FOSS: Open Standards,
the latest in its series of 'e-Primer' books.

OPINION
PHP IS DEAD. LONG LIVE PHP!
Jason Norwood-Young
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1064&s=news
A friend recently told me that PHP is on its way out, Ruby on Rails
is where it's at. I scoffed. I chuckled. Then I gave it some thought.
Could PHP have had its day?

REVIEWS
FIREFOX 2.0 CHANGES SMALL BUT SIGNIFICANT
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1063&s=news
A beta version of Firefox 2.0 was released late last week and is fast
becoming my preferred browser. Not because it has had a noticeable
upgrade but because the changes that have been made make sense for my
online life.

To advertise in Tectonic's weekly newsletter email
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx or phone 083-267-7657.

For more information on the newsletter visit
http://www.tectonic.co.za/default.php?action="">

Visit
http://www.tectonic.co.za for the latest news and most up to
date resources on open source software on the continent of Africa.

All material copyright Free Speech Publishing. You are free to
distribute copies of this newsletter on the condition that credit is
given to www.tectonic.co.za. For permission to re-print articles that
appear in this newsletter or on the www.tectonic.co.za website email
news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx