Re: [casetta] Casetta 0.3 Feedback / Windows Installer

Fabien ANDRE a écrit :
> Florian Birée a écrit :
>>> Actually, the installation on Microsoft Windows is not easy. As there is
>>> no tool to manage dependences this installation is long.
>>> I tried to make a full all-in-one-ready-to-use-out-of-the-box (tm)
>>> *installer for Windows*.
>>>

>> You've saved the world for a lot of casetta users :-)
>>
> I am not really sure casetta have a lot of users for now

More than you think: there many ubuntu users (because of Asher256 posts
on the ubuntu-fr planet), and some windows users due to some posts from
me in casio forums (and you make me think I must post the announcement
of casetta 0.3 in those forums... but I'll wait your wonderful installer
:-) )

> (You,

Yes, but the dev version :-)

> Asher256,

No, he hasn't a casio calculator. I've asked him if he want to put
casetta packages in his ubuntu repository, and he decided to package
casetta (and clean some ugly python code).

> a certain theophile helleboid and me... all using Linux) :-D. But maybe
> this installer will help some Windows users (I hope so !).

I'm sure it'll help casetta having more users. Some of them are afraid
by the current installation way... and I can understand.

> The casetta python module is currently 'compiled' like the PIL. This
> means before compiling casetta_cli or gasetta, the casetta module needs
> to be installed in your-python-root/lib/site-packages/. The PIL and
> casetta are handled exactly in the same way by py2exe!. This is a
> problem because theses modules are included twice (in the casetta_cli
> final directory where binaries are put and in gasetta final dir).

OK, I understand. It's not a very smart organization...

> make this clearer , I have a small diagram :
> http://xion345.olympe-network.com/casetta-work/casetta_cli-gasetta-py2exe-build-process.jpg.

Clearer? Not really, but I'll save your diagram as an example of why
windows is more complicated than linux for a developer :-D

> An important point : Casetta_cli and gasetta are built separately by two
> different script (which are called by th "master" script
> generate-win32-installer.py).

OK.

> Yes, needed libraries are included with most windows software. Because
> of its lack of a decent dependences mechanism. That's the windows
> world... I said that to have a good conscience (what I did is bad but
> everybody does like that)

I'll keep the old-way installer in the website to let the choice for the
user (if he need a specific version of a dependency, etc).

>> Just about the GTK installation from the Gimp: I've read (but never
>> check it) that the Gimp doesn't use the libglade, and then the GTK
>> distributed with the Windows installer of the Gimp hasn't the libglade
>> support. Does your installer check the libglade support? (Or perhaps I'm
>> wrong about libglade and the GTK of the Gimp.)
> Yes, you are right, my installer doesn't check for Glade support ! This
> is a big problem. I didn't notice. Sorry. I will try to fix this.
> Thank you very much for highlighting this point.

No problem, I had this problem the first time I tried to run casetta
under windows, when I needed to choice between all gtk windows binary in
the web.

>>> If you feel confused about what I said, have a look at the screenshots :
>>> http://xion345.olympe-network.com/casetta-work/windows-installer/screenshots/
>>> Try it : (Choose an installer with or without GTK)
>>> http://xion345.olympe-network.com/casetta-work/windows-installer/setup-casetta-gtk.exe
>>> http://xion345.olympe-network.com/casetta-work/windows-installer/setup-casetta-nogtk.exe
>>>

>> I haven't fully tried those installer (I've only a win98 SE under qemu,
>> which need GTK 2.6, and Wine), but I seems to work.
> Wow. This may be painful ! You may be interested in the VirtualBox
> (Virtual Machine, it don't know if you know !), which is now licensed
> under GPL, http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads (There is a GPL,
> which you need to compile and not-gpl version). It should be faster than
> Qemu !

I've tried it some month ago, but I prefer qemu. My windows 98 se (with
a licence :-) ) has good performance (better than the original computer,
I allow 256mo of ram, and I can play to age of empire 2 without lag).

> No No No ! :-) When I said  NSIS was nearly perfect... It is possible to
> build Windows installer from Linux using NSIS ! 8-)  There is a version
> of the NSIS script compiler for linux.

Wonderful!

> If you are running Debian/Ubuntu, it is in the apt repository (package
> name : nsis). More specifically, if you are using Ubuntu Linux (I
> believe it is the case), the version in the feisty repository is
> out-dated (2.19), I recompiled a quite recent version from gusty for
> feisty (2.28) :
> http://xion345.olympe-network.com/debian-packages/nsis_2.28-1_i386.deb .
> You can use it, if you want !

I'm downloading it. Thank you.

> However, you absolutely need Windows to compile the project with py2exe.

That's bad.

> If you don't mind, it would prefer to compile the official installer
> from a real windows... It may be better !

Ok. Else, (and if you're ok to do this) maybe you can be the 'official
windows packager for casetta'? It's very interesting in a CV, and you
are the one who know the most your installer. :-)

As you said, it's the windows world :-/

>> If you think yours installers are ready, I can upload them on the
>> download repository, and update the website. I'll also made an archive
>> with the source of the installer, and upload them in the svn repository
>> (in branches/win-installer or something like).
>> If you want, I can get you a write access to the repository.
>>
> No, because of the libglade bug, they are not ready, it'll try to fix it
> as soon as possible. It is a good idea to add the source code in a
> branch (the organization of the SVN is now better and professional :-).
> When you add them on the website, could you put a link to the mailing
> list and write I am very interested in getting any feedback and ready to
> help for install and son. (Could you also put my e-mail, like this
> people don't have to subscribe to the mailing list f they just want help !)

No problem!

> For the SVN RW access, yes, I think now I have enough experience
> developing casetta. So that's a good idea (especially if I work in
> branches (see my next mail), there is not risk for the trunk ). Do I
> need to create a tuxfamily.org account ? Do I need a special option ?

Just a tuxfamily.org account, and then you give me your login. I'll add
you in the casetta group, and you'll be able to access to the repository
in r/w. See tuxfamily.org faq/wiki for more help, they are a good start
point to understand their system.

> --
> Fabien ANDRE aka Xion345
> Linux User #418689 -- fabien.andre.g@xxxxxxxxxx -- xion345@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> *No. That's it. The cool name, that is. We worked very hard on creating
> a name that would appeal to the majority of people, and it certainly
> paid off: thousands of people are using _Gasetta_ just to be able to say
> Fx-Interface ? Hah. I've got Gasetta. What a cool name'. FA-124 made the
> mistake of putting a lot of numbers and weird abbreviations into the
> name, and is scaring away a lot of people just because it sounds too
> technical. ( Linus Torvalds, Before 1995, modified by Xion345 )*

:-p

--
Thesa ~ Florian Birée
e-mail : florian@xxxxxxxxxx
Messagerie Instantanée Jabber/XMPP/Google Talk : florian.biree@xxxxxxxxx
Site web : http://florian.biree.name/
Carnet web : http://filyb.info/
begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:Florian Bir=C3=A9e
n;quoted-printable:Bir=C3=A9e;Florian
org;quoted-printable:Universit=C3=A9 Toulouse III : Paul Sabatier;Licence MIA
adr:;;118, route de Narbonne;Toulouse Cedex 9;;31062;France
email;internet:florian@xxxxxxxxxx
title;quoted-printable:=C3=89tudiant
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://florian.biree.name/