Re: [casetta] Casetta 0.3 Feedback / Windows Installer

Hello,

Fabien ANDRE a écrit :
> First of all, I would like to give you my feedback about casetta 0.3 :
> Excellent !
> The GUI is very good with a working syntax highlighting :-) and it is
> more user-friendly now. I didn't not find any disturbing bugs.

Thank you!

> Actually, the installation on Microsoft Windows is not easy. As there is
> no tool to manage dependences this installation is long.
> I tried to make a full all-in-one-ready-to-use-out-of-the-box (tm)
> *installer for Windows*.

You've saved the world for a lot of casetta users :-)

> I add some problems :
>      -> Firstly, py2exe uses a distutils-like script which needs to be
> executed in the directory where the script which needs to be compiled is
> located, if this script imports other scripts located in its directory.
> For example, gasetta.py imports prefs.py, located in the same directory.
> Therefore, there are two separate compilation scripts for casetta_cli
> and gasetta. This is a problem because some librairies are duplicated
> (for example, the casetta python module if copied twince : once in the
> gasetta build directory, once in the casetta_cli build directory. One
> solution to this problem would be to copy all gasetta and all
> casetta_cli files in a common directory and then to create a common
> pyexe script but, after, it would be difficult to know which compiled
> files belongs to casetta_cli and which belongs to gasetta (especially in
> the library.zip, an archive containing all the python modules...) and
> make the writing of an installer difficult. So I let things like that.

And how py2exe deal with non-standard python modules, like the PIL? The
casetta packages could be 'compiled' like the PIL, isn't it?

>     My second problem was with gasetta, py2exe and pyinstaller are not
> able to detected all librairies needed and especially, it didn't include
> all necessary GTK libraries. I tried to include them one-by-one and I
> discovered that all GTK libraries/config files where needed. So I
> decided to include the FULL gtk library with Gasetta (This is heavy
> especially with locales included...). Gtk library is copied in a subdir
> (gtk-lib) of gasetta

(And now we know why Windows programs needs a full CD-Rom or DVD-Rom to
be distributed... and not only less-than-500-ko-packages.)

>     -> The second step was to make and installer, I choosed NSIS :
> Nullsoft Scriptable Install System (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/)
> because it is free (zlib/libpng licence), well-known, powerful yet
> simple, very well documented. Belive me, this was THE good choice ! ;-)

I never used it, but I heard a lot of great things about it.

> I decided to make 2 different installers : one which includes GTK (~9Mo,
> compressed in LZMA, of course self-extracting installer !), one which
> does not includes GTK, because the user can already have GTK included
> (If he installed the gimp before) or simply want to install casetta_cli
> (~3Mo, compressed in LZMA).

Just about the GTK installation from the Gimp: I've read (but never
check it) that the Gimp doesn't use the libglade, and then the GTK
distributed with the Windows installer of the Gimp hasn't the libglade
support. Does your installer check the libglade support? (Or perhaps I'm
wrong about libglade and the GTK of the Gimp.)

> In both.This installer features a "modern"
> look, component choice (Shortcuts, casetta_cli, gasetta), *GTK lib
> detection*, Control Panel information add/remove. It is
> internationalized and localized in french (language is detected from the
> windows settings).

This is very good, the choice of component is a good features (most
users will never use the cli), and the look of the installer is far
better than the distutils one.

> I tried to make my system as reusable as possible, in fact my NSIS
> scripts are just templates which are used by a python script who
> generates everything. This means, you will by able to generate casetta
> 0.4 and next installer, just running a simple python script !*

Good idea!

> If you feel confused about what I said, have a look at the screenshots :
> http://xion345.olympe-network.com/casetta-work/windows-installer/screenshots/
> Try it : (Choose an installer with or without GTK)
> http://xion345.olympe-network.com/casetta-work/windows-installer/setup-casetta-gtk.exe
> http://xion345.olympe-network.com/casetta-work/windows-installer/setup-casetta-nogtk.exe

I haven't fully tried those installer (I've only a win98 SE under qemu,
which need GTK 2.6, and Wine), but I seems to work.

> To create a windows installer you need to (all needed files are on :
> http://xion345.olympe-network.com/casetta-work/windows-installer/ ):
> 1 - Copy setup-py2exe.py inside gasetta directory (You can have a look
> at it....)
> 2 - Copy setup-py2exe.py inside casetta_cli directory
> 3- Copy NSIS-data, all *.nsi scripts, generate-win32-installer.py in the
> parent dir
> 4- Run generate-win32-installer.py and answer the questions
> 5- Compile newly created NSIS scripts(casetta-setup-gtk.nsi,
> casetta-setup-nogtk.nsi) (Right click -> Compile NSIS script), you will
> need the NSIS compiler http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Download

The only drawback it's that need a windows (or windows compatible)
system. Actually, I've a script that build the source archive and the
windows (distutils) installer, all on my GNU/Linux system.
Maybe it's possible to use Wine to use the NSIS compiler.

> Feel free to send me an e-mail for any question, doubt, remark,
> feedback, etc... about that.
> And especially if something in fuzzy English is not clear (I can
> re-explain in French) :-D !

All it's clear!

> If you want me to modify anything in the installer, there is no problem.
> And if you don't like the bitmaps humm...
> Yeah, I admit it I am not a GIMP-power-user but I got some pictures from
> the web, modified them and... the result is not really good... :-D

It's not me, with my two left hands in inkscape (see the gasetta icon -
which re-use an icon from the KDE icon set), who'll judge your work! For
the moment, your installer provide a smarter setup than the distutils
one, and its what windows users wants.

> Known Bugs :
> - Required space in the installer is wrong. Don't know why !

I've no idea about it.

> PS : There were also some errors in your w32_postinstall script.
> Casetta_gtk was not replace by gasetta. This is not used by my installer
> but I corrected it anyway !
I'll fix it in the repository, and rebuild the source archive and the
distutils installer. Non-windows packages doesn't need to be updated,
they doesn't use this script. Because it's not in the code of casetta,
I'll not upgrade the version number.

If you think yours installers are ready, I can upload them on the
download repository, and update the website. I'll also made an archive
with the source of the installer, and upload them in the svn repository
(in branches/win-installer or something like).
If you want, I can get you a write access to the repository.

What's your opinion about that?

Thank you a lot for this great contribution!

Cheers,
--
Thesa ~ Florian Birée
e-mail : florian@xxxxxxxxxx
Messagerie Instantanée Jabber/XMPP/Google Talk : florian.biree@xxxxxxxxx
Site web : http://florian.biree.name/
Carnet web : http://filyb.info/
begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:Florian Bir=C3=A9e
n;quoted-printable:Bir=C3=A9e;Florian
org;quoted-printable:Universit=C3=A9 Toulouse III : Paul Sabatier;Licence MIA
adr:;;118, route de Narbonne;Toulouse Cedex 9;;31062;France
email;internet:florian@xxxxxxxxxx
title;quoted-printable:=C3=89tudiant
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://florian.biree.name/