[AD] Duplicate "surfaceCreated" on Android - explanation needed

From what I understand from documentation (https://source.android.com/devices/graphics/architecture.html), a Surface is created automatically for SurfaceView (AllegroSurface, in our case), whenever it is about to become visible ("When the SurfaceView's View component is about to become visible, the framework asks the WindowManager to ask SurfaceFlinger to create a new Surface."). However, I see that AllegroActivity has a "createSurface" method, which creates a new AllegroSurface explicitly.

When I minimize my game and restore it, I get the following log:

 AllegroEGL: destroying egl_Surface
 AllegroEGL: destroying egl_Context
 AllegroSurface: surfaceDestroyed end
 AllegroActivity: onSaveInstanceState
 AllegroActivity: onStop.
// Here, the game is paused and restored
 AllegroActivity: onRestart.
 AllegroActivity: onStart.
 AllegroActivity: onResume
allegro : android D 24548: android_system.c:303 Java_org_liballeg_android_AllegroActivity_nativeOnResume [ 69.49768] resume activity allegro : android D 24548: android_system.c:316 Java_org_liballeg_android_AllegroActivity_nativeOnResume [ 69.49773] got display: 0x5d55fd20
 AllegroActivity: postCreateSurface
 AllegroActivity: onResume end
Choreographer: Skipped 388 frames! The application may be doing too much work on its main thread.
 AllegroSurface: surfaceCreated
// Later:
 D AllegroActivity: createSurface
// ... lots of action ...
 D AllegroActivity: createSurface end
 AllegroSurface: surfaceCreated
allegro : display D 24548: android_display.c:43 Java_org_liballeg_android_AllegroSurface_nativeOnCreate [ 103.95028] nativeOnCreate allegro : display D 24548: android_display.c:50 Java_org_liballeg_android_AllegroSurface_nativeOnCreate [ 103.95049] AllegroSurface_nativeOnCreate
 D AllegroSurface: Grabbing focus
 AllegroSurface: surfaceCreated end

As you can see, Allegro gets "surfaceCreated" callback twice: first time, as per documentation, it happens right after onResume. The second time, it happens when postCreateSurface finally had a chance to run its way. Unfortunately, each "surfafeCreated" callback leads to spawning of RESUME_DRAWING events and bitmap re-creation. It ends in chaos.

So, two questions:

1) Why does Allegro creates surface explicitly, when it is should be created automatically? Is the observed behaviour a bug, or intended?
2) Is there any way to avoid duplicate events & bitmaps re-creation?