[AD] Why are the DirectX GUIDs defined in Allegro?

In wjoydxnu.cpp, there are lots of lines like this:
DEFINE_PRIVATE_GUID(__al_GUID_XAxis, 0xA36D02E0,0xC9F3,0x11CF,0xBF,0xC7,0x44,0x45,0x53,0x54,0x00,0x00);

Does anyone know why are they redefined instead of just using the definitions from the DirectX SDK?

I'm asking because I need the GUID for for the wide (UNICODE) version of DirectInput8, which is not defined in Allegro. So I'm thinking about just deleting those definitions and switching to the ones from the DirectX SDK. That means we need to link with dxguid.lib.