Re: [AD] Loading non-unicode TTF fonts

On 31 Aug 2012, at 15:45 , Michał Cichoń wrote:
> I realize we doesn't live in an ideal world and dumping resources is
> not always an option.
> What is damaged there is the font and it should be fixed.

Can you clarify where it says that a TTF font is required to have a unicode map available?
There *are* charmaps present in the TTF files, but no unicode mapping (and freetype fails to create one itself, quite why I'm not certain but it's possible the glyph names are not standard).

> If FreeType didn't managed to map characters to Unicode, what can we do?

Work around the problem?

> I just found TypeLight which should be able to add missing character map.
> http://cr8.netfirms.com/typelight.html

Hmm... needs Windows though.

> On the other hand, there can be license issues. It may forbid you to
> add or modify font file, then insane world of patching the code to fix
> data starts.

No issues on that front.
But as I said: the font files themselves are valid (and, again, work in Gimp), they just don't have unicode charmaps.

Evert