Re: [AD] Loading non-unicode TTF fonts

On 31 Aug 2012, at 11:25 , Michał Cichoń wrote:
> This issue doesn't have obvious solution. Wild guess just hide the
> problem.

Or expose the problem and a possible work-around to the user.

> My advice would be to dump damaged font.

Cute, but as you can probably guess, not helpful.
Note that the fonts are not "damaged" - they work perfectly fine in Gimp (though admittedly they don't work on OS X's native font viewer thingy). I'll take a tool that lets me "fix" said broken fonts though if you can recommend one. Doesn't fix the real problem, of course, but then I only care because of these particular fonts.

> But if it is not possible I would like to see a big warning message
> while selecting applying your workaround.

There should be no problem for characters <128 if the font uses a Latin-1 or similar encoding. Perhaps that's the most conservative workaround: only display those characters that have a reasonable chance of showing up, junk the rest. It's not like it's a regression over the current behaviour, which just quietly does nothing.

Evert