Re: [AD] ex_depth_mask slow with D3D

On Sun, 27 May 2012 16:49:07 +1000
Peter Wang <novalazy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On my system ex_depth_mask was very slow with the D3D driver (< 1
> FPS). I didn't investigate further yet, and released 5.1.2 regardless.

Which graphics drivers? I tried it in a native windows with an Intel
HD3000 card myself and get about 1000FPS.

But while looking at the code I was wondering if the D3D create_display
isn't a bit stupid, basically it works like this:

for each mode to try:
    try the mode as normal mode
    try the mode with the reference driver

I *think* it should actually work like this instead:

for each mode to try:
    try the mode as normal mode

for each mode to try:
    try the mode with the reference driver

Now I think in most cases there simply is no reference driver, so it
never made much difference. But in case someone does have a D3D
reference driver and then something special is requested (like a depth
buffer) - it will be < 1FPS. So far requesting a depth buffer also was
unlikely, so another reason this may not have happened in the past.

Can you paste or look at allegro.log? It should say if it had to
try several modes before creating a D3D Device, and also whether it
ended up with a reference driver instead of the GPU vendor driver.