Re: [AD] Motion sensors as joysticks on Linux

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 23:45:08 -0600, Trent Gamblin <trent@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I sent this a few days ago but I'm pretty sure it never got through.
>
> On Linux, joystick devices are created in /dev for motion and drop sensors. Allegro picks them up as joysticks which can be quite "fun" when you try to autoconfigure joysticks. Does anyone know a good solution to this problem? My idea is to ignore joysticks without buttons. I don't know if it will work. The question is, should Allegro be picking up these devices as joysticks in the first place?

I *think* so.  You might want to control a game with an accelerometer
(well, not really).

We provide very little information about the device capabilities in the
Allegro API, which would be nice to fix.  If your game requires buttons
anyway then ignoring joysticks without buttons shouldn't hurt.

Peter