Re: [AD] Allegro 5 Fedora RPM

On 2011-02-19, Brandon McCaig <bamccaig@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Some of you may know that I've begun work on an RPM for Allegro 5. I
> mentioned it on the allegro.cc forums here:
> <http://www.allegro.cc/forums/thread/606355>. My goal is to become an
> official Fedora packager and maintain the Allegro 5 packages and
> possibly updated Allegro 4 packages. It was suggested to me that I
> might be able to maintain all Allegro-related packages too (i.e.,
> games as well). That would be neat. :)
>
> My progress is tracked on GitHub: <http://github.com/bamccaig/allegro5-rpm>
>
> I would appreciate it if somebody could help me with descriptions for
> each addon; preferably ones that I could copy verbatim into the
> packages so there's no chance of me getting it wrong. :P A description
> for Allegro 5 would also come in handy. I've assembled the following
> description by combining the description for the current allegro
> package and a snippet from liballeg.org:
>
> __BEGIN__
> Allegro is a cross-platform library intended for use in computer games
> and other types of multimedia programming. Allegro 5 is the latest major
> revision of the library, designed to take advantage of modern hardware
> (e.g. hardware acceleration using 3D cards) and operating systems.
> Although it is not backwards compatible with earlier versions, it still
> occupies the same niche and retains a familiar style.
> __END__
>
> However, I need permission from whoever wrote it to use it (as it
> would be copyrighted technically).

Sure.

> I'll probably have to make an additional 12 (debuginfo packages for
> the core and all addons). I've tested them out on my current Fedora 13
> system and at first glance they appear to function correctly. I'm not
> sure that I have dependencies correct though and it's possible that
> there are header files that belong to addons that I'm not aware of. If
> anybody has the time and motivation, I would appreciate one of the
> actual developers reviewing the dependency lists and file list(s) to
> look for mistakes. You can get this from the allegro5.spec file in the
> GitHub repository or if you'd prefer I could send you that data upon
> request.

You can compare against the Getting Started Guide and the pkg-config .pc
files.  (Though I just noticed that allegro_font incorrectly depends on
allegro_primitives.)  I had a quick glance:

acodec requires audio

audio could use non-alsa backends, not sure how that works in Fedora.

image depends on libjpeg, libpng, libz

physfs depends on PhysicsFS

ttf depends on font and FreeType

> I'm planning to submit a review request to Fedora soon (read: today),
> but I think I should try to fill in the missing information (mostly
> just the descriptions now) before doing so to save them the trouble of
> telling me to fill it in. Any and all help is appreciated.
>
> As the upstream developers I encourage you to also voice any concerns
> or suggestions to me. :) Thanks.

Thanks for doing this!

Peter