Re: [AD] 5.0.0 final release plan

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Thomas Fjellstrom
<tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So what we have now, except you're renaming SYSTEM_DATA to BUNDLED_DATA... I
> suppose that makes sense.

Well, I'd look at it this way:

1) Rename PROGRAM_PATH to BUNDLED_DATA, and on OS X, dynamically
detect if in an app bundle, and adjust accordingly. Update
documentation to make it clear that this should be considered
read-only.

If the user *really* wants the real program path, they can get that
from EXENAME. I see no need for the average Allegro program to access
the real program path. The dynamic BUNDLED_DATA path is likely the
only thing anybody will need. Omitting the true program path will
discourage people from erroneously using it when they really wanted
BUNDLED_DATA.

2) Remove SYSTEM_DATA_PATH and SYSTEM_SETTINGS_PATH.

The rationale is basically what torhu said about them not being both
straightforward on all platforms and useful to the average Allegro
program. These folders are going to be read-only, which means they
have to be created at time of installation. And there's no guarantee
that the chosen installation folders will actually be what Allegro
assumes those locations *should* be.

So if you're creating an installable package that moves files around
in different locations, then you already have to take extra steps to
make sure the installation paths match what Allegro expects. So I
think it would actually be easier to not rely on what Allegro reports,
but instead implement something on your own.

3) Make USER_HOME consistent, and add USER_DOCUMENTS

--
Matthew Leverton