Re: [AD] standard path updates

Am 05.01.2011, 10:55 Uhr, schrieb Sebastian Steinhauer <s.steinhauer@xxxxxxxxxx>:

I just checked my OpenSuse, but it seems that the ~/Documents directory is
localized here (e.g. German: ~/Dokumente). I don't know if this an issue
with a German Ubuntu.

Ahhh okay, I just found out, that OpenSuse (and probably many other distros) use the XDG Base Directory Specification. At my OpenSuse box, I've the command xdg-user-dir which prints the localized directory e.g. "xdg-user-dir DOCUMENTS" gives me "/home/steini/Dokumente". I know running an external command to check the directory isn't the best way. I've also found a config file specifying all the desired directories at ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs which can be easily parsed. Here's an additional link: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/xdg-user-dirs explaining where and how this config file will be created.

So to setup the directories, we could use the XDG tools/configs and as a fallback the ~/Documents / ~/documents / ~ approach.

I hope this stuff is useful.

Just my 2 cents :)

Sebastian