Re: [AD] 5.0.0 RC2 release notes

My opinion doesn't mean anything here, but I strongly support the idea of switching to git. Distributed version control systems are friendlier for contributors outside of the main development team. I don't think it will encourage contributions in and of itself, but using git would certainly facilitate contributions better.

Regarding your lack of time, Evert, if you don't have time to install a VCS and execute a couple of commands, you probably don't have time to write code for the project, either.

But this is just my two cents. Carry on...

-Michael Swiger

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Elias Pschernig <elias.pschernig@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2010-12-05 at 17:04 -0500, Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> On 5 Dec 2010, at 16:58 , Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > Shouldn't take any time at all. But fine. I get your point.
>
> I'll need to download & install git and I'll need to change over my
> Allegro tree. No, it isn't hard. But it's enough of a hassle that
> given the choice between doing that or doing something else with my
> time instead, I'll do something else (that's in practice, not in
> principle). I simply don't have that much time. :(
> I haven't even got round to installing 5.1 SVN...

On the other hand, git would soon save more time than the initial
download time. Where svn commit for 70 patches takes > 60 minutes, git
push would just take 10 seconds (!). For just a single patch "git pull;
git commit; git push" also will be faster than "svn up; svn commit" but
the difference wouldn't be so noticeable of course.

Also my impression is that SVN is basically dead as of now (yes, seems
it died really fast, much faster than anyone could have predicted). But
SF, google code, github, gitorious... it's basically all git and
otherwise mercurial or bazaar.

--
Elias Pschernig <elias.pschernig@xxxxxxxxxx>