Re: [AD] A5 tutorial

I would not use the funds to directly pay a writer. Research shows that professionals are much more willing to provide their services pro bono than for laughable wages that are far under market rates. Check out chapter 4 of Predictably Irrational entitled "The Cost of Social Norms: Why We Are Happy to Do Things, But Not When We Are Paid to Do Them." Here's a very short excerpt:

... people will work more for a cause than cash. A few years ago, for instance, AARP asked some lawyers if they would offer less expensive services to needy retirees, at something like $30 an hour. The lawyers said no. Then the program manager from AARP had a brilliant idea: he asked lawyers if they would offer free services to needy retirees. Overwhelmingly, the lawyers said yes.

Instead, I suggest using the funds to buy t-shirts or some other prizes to reward the most active contributors to the wiki documentation; possibly make it a competition. It's amazing what people will do for a t-shirt.

John

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 7:13 AM, Evert Glebbeek <eglebbk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 5 Jun 2010, at 13:27 , Trent Gamblin wrote:
> I had an idea to use the Allegro fund from SF to pay someone to write
> a simple tutorial that covers all of the most used aspects of Allegro 5.
> Elias and I are on board with the idea, just wondering what everyone
> else thinks, and if there are any volunteers to do it, or anyone that can
> be recommended.

Go for it, I'd say. Finally means we have a destination for that money.
It's a nice extra for someone who wants to do this on the side, I think, but not enough to really hire someone professional.

Evert